TESTIMONIALS AND CUSTOMERS
Kombucha and Just Panela, the perfect and healthy match!
1) any time there is a sweetness remaining after fermentation, rest assured the sugar was not completely used up so that means people are getting the refined sugar in their diet and that is something that isn't being recognized (which I cannot understand why unless we as a society are so used to sweet things it doens't stand out), and kombucha is being touted as a health drink. Not if there is residual refined sugar. Just as yogurt that is compromised with sugars/sweeteners and it vies with the benefit of the good bacteria (some science is coming out on sugar being possibly an issue in the micro-biome) and potential benefit of the yogurt, so, if one uses any thing other than a quality sweetener with kombucha, it will not be the health aid they wish for.
2) some sites say that the use of panela (rapadura) may lead to a yeasty taste and/or the scoby failing on the sooner side, and that the mineral content of the panela will effect the process. So far, (third yielding) we have found that the taste is spot on, with a slightly vinegar taste, as it should be, and there is a hint of the panela flavor, but I wouldn't say mineral-ish nor molasses-y.
3) We have found that it needs to ferment longer than our friend from whom we got the scoby, and who uses some kind of regular/perhaps organic cane sugar.
4) We have also found that there is still a measure of sweetness after even a longer fermentation, yet don't mind because it is delicious and we know that the sugar remaining is healthful in and of itself. We've considered cutting back on the amount in the recipe but don't want to mess with a good thing. One step at a time.
5) We drink it in moderation because, hey, it's still something sweet and there are so many ways to get good bacteria and yeasts into us: fermented veges, fermented dairy, supplements, etc etc
Hope that is of use! So glad we went this route and it's been successful - and sharing that info with others has been our pleasure! Frankly, I wouldn't even have wanted to spend the time and energy if it weren't for using the panela.
Well wishes, Stephanie” kombucha home brewer!
" I took my espresso machine home and put your Panela Cane sugar in my cappuccino. It was great!!!!
More flavor, not as sweet as sugar, a real treat! My book keeper Diane also said the same thing. You have a winner!" - Jan Weigel, Owner FreshCup Magazine